As witching hour is just around the corner, what better time to have a stab at this ghoulishly tasty Halloween recipe. A sweet potato treat will make a perfect chewy snack for your pooch. As well as being healthy, they should also help keep your dog nice and busy for a while. Sweet potato pumpkin treats are also a lot easier to make than carving an actual pumpkin, and a lot less messy too!
Now considered a superfood, sweet potatoes are packed full of so much goodness, it’s practically bursting to get out. They contain vitamins C and B6, which are a powerful source of antioxidant to aid healing, as well as fighting the effects of ageing. It would be no bad thing if we all made sure we had a little more sweet potato in our lives.
2 large, fresh sweet potatoes, the bigger the better! As the cooking process does take quite a while, you don’t want to find that you wish you had made more. In general we would recommend using as many as you can fit on the baking tray.
Just a sprinkle of turmeric. Turmeric has some anti-inflammatory properties to help support joints, which may be beneficial for senior dogs.
* Preheat the oven to 225 F (107 C).
* Line a baking tray with baking paper.
* Scrub the potatoes to ensure that there is no mould on the skin.
* Slice the potatoes into 1/3″ thick rounds, cut any scary faces into the slices (you can use a
small cookie cutter if you have one!) and pop them on the baking tray. Try to ensure that the treats don’t touch or overlap at all.
* Sprinkle a pinch of turmeric over each pumpkin treat.
* Bake the sweet potatoes for approximately 3-4 hours, but feel free to leave them a little longer if you would like them to become a little more crunchy. These treats are human friendly too, so feel free to have a nibble to check if they seem ready or if you think they need a little more baking time.
* For best results, leave the treats to cool down in the oven for a few hours once they have finished baking.
We’re pretty sure most dogs would happily munch through a whole bowl of these treats but you must always remember to give these to your dog in moderation. We hope that your pooches enjoy this recipe, and if you’ve enjoyed these treats, you can get into the spooky spirit even more by entering our Halloween competition here: >> http://bit.ly/2f8rLq2