Sweet potato: the cousin of the white potato and the star of this super simple recipe.
Packed with fibre, low in fat and full of essential vitamins, sweet potatoes are a nutritional winner for dogs and humans alike. This tasty veg also contains riboflavin which helps the body change fat and carbohydrate into energy.
So to showcase the sweet potato in all its orange, nutritious glory, we’ve come up with the perfect autumn treat to pop in the oven on a Sunday and have ready for the week ahead.
6-8 chews, depending on the size of your potato
What you’ll need
1 – 2 sweet potatoes (no need to peel)
- Preheat your oven to 130C and line your baking tray with paper
- Cut your sweet potato into 1.5cm thick slices – for smaller dogs, we recommend cutting it into coins, and for larger dogs, you can try cutting it lengthwise
- Pop them on your baking tray, making sure they’re nicely spread out
- Bake for 2 – 3 hours, turning them halfway through
- They’re ready when some bits are a bit crispy, and some a little bit chewy
- Leave them to cool and store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 weeks
Top tip: to make your sweet potato chews extra special, try sprinkling a little ginger or cinnamon over the top before you pop them in the oven. Ginger is great for digestion – and both are delicious. Very autumnal!
We love seeing all your baking creations, so give this recipe a go and tag us using #tailsdotcom