Puppies grow fast – and so do their nutritional needs. Those growing brains and bones need exactly the right balance of nutritious ingredients to help them grow up into a healthy and happy adult dog.
Puppy food needs to be very different to adult dog food for that reason. It’s made to target bone development, growing muscles from all that tearing around, exploring the world, for their growing busy brains too.
When you’re looking for tips on what to feed your puppy, it’s worth knowing the basics of what goes in – so you can make all the right choices.
Here’s our tips on how to feed them a balanced puppy food diet that boosts their energy and fuels their growth.
What kind of nutrition do they need?
Puppies need the perfect blend of proteins, carbohydrates, fats, vitamins and minerals, including:
- Proteins – important for building muscle and strengthening their skeletal system
- Carbohydrates – gives your puppy the energy they need for playing and learning
- Fats – nourishing to your puppy’s healthy fur and skin
- Vitamins and minerals – zinc helps growing immune systems, and their thyroid, too. Salmon oil is high in Omega-3 and helps promote puppy vision and brain growth – essential for training and learning, plus the right calcium and phosphorus ratios for bone development.
Puppy nutrition doesn’t stop there. Other nutrients are great for growing puppies too. Joint-boosters like Chondroitin and Glucosamine support growing joints and bones. While prebiotics like beet pulp, MOS and FOS promote healthy gut flora and support young digestive systems where they need it most.
How often should puppies eat?
It can be a minefield when it comes to dinners, as the amount of meals a day depends on your puppy’s age.
- 2-3 months – puppy needs 4 meals a day
- 3-6 months – feed them 3 meals a day
- 6-12 months – 2 meals a day
If you’ve got the largest breed puppy, they often need feeding twice a day for up to 24 months as they’ve got so much more growing to do!
How tails.com helps feed your puppy
We know your puppy is already a big part of your family, which is why we give them their very own, tailored recipe. It’s so personal to them, and supports their growth and development – at each tiny step.
Tailored puppy food gives your puppy the exact nutrition they need to play, grow and learn. We adjust your puppy’s recipe as they grow and grow – so you never have to worry about whether they’re getting the right nutrients, and you can serve them tasty food that gets bowls licked clean.
Find your puppy’s unique recipe now for 50% off.